INT. MR. R’S MANSION–BEDROOM–DAWN
Mr. R. tosses worn invitations to the coveted Oscar parties on the bed. He unfastens the diamond cufflinks from his new tuxedo and places them on a gold tray in his cherry armoire.
The early morning light fills the room as he sinks into the plump, king-size bed. He falls back on the pillow and looks at the clock on the nightstand. It reads 6:32AM.
His eyes lock on a dish carefully placed next to the clock. A decadent slice of warm, chocolate cake is accompanied by an icy glass of milk.
After-Party Chocolate Cake
8 oz. bittersweet Scharffen Berger chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
6 eggs, separated
1/2 c. sugar
1. Heat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and line the side wall with a strip of parchment paper.
3. In the bowl of a double-boiler, combine butter and chopped chocolate. Add water to bottom of pan and place bowl over pan. Melt chocolate over medium heat until smooth. Remove bowl from pan and cool slightly.
4. Beat egg whites with an electric mixture until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar and beat until glossy and stiff.
5. Whisk egg yolks into chocolate mixture. Whisk in a dollop of egg whites to lighten. Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites with a rubber spatula.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until cake is set (center may be giggly), about 40-45 minutes.
7. Cool cake for 20 minutes and remove sides of pan. Continue to cool. Dust with confectioners sugar.
This flourless cake has a light, mousse-like texture. Best served warm.